Sunday, June 2, 2013

Things I have yelled at the TV during Game of Thrones

Spoiler Warning.  Turn back before it's too late. 



Much as I deplore it in others, I talk back to the television. 

I try very hard not to do it when others are also watching, but sometimes I can't help myself.  It is a compulsion, and I always have a hard time ignoring those. 

We are one week away from the Season 3 finale of Game of Thrones.  Having read the books, I find myself yelling at the screen quite a bit during this show.  Most frequently "That's not what happened in the book!" -- though usually in surprise, not anger.  Like the HBO show exists only to fulfill my expectations.  (Completely rational thought, I'm sure.)

Now that I've taken up enough space on the screen to avoid feeling guilt if someone doesn't want to see spoilers, here are some things I have actually yelled at the tv during Game of Thrones over the past 3 years.

  • Ouch, that's gonna leave a mark.
  • Ouch, that's not gonna grow back.
  • Holy <insert expletive of choice>!
  • S/He totally had that coming!
  • Melisandre, you do NOT get to sleep with Gendry!
  • Oh Theon, you poor, stupid fool.
  • Joffrey, I can not WAIT until you die horribly (at mumble spoilers mumble)!
  • Don't F--k with Arya!    (mass effect 2 reference)
  • Damn Lannisters!
  • Whoa, those dragons sure do grow fast!
  • Khaleesi, stop jerking sir Jorah around!
  • Stupid Sansa -- grow a pair!
  • Don't mess with Tyrion!
  • Ewwwww!
  • I love Jaqen!
  • Arya, just stop and marry Gendry, okay?
  • Oh Littlefinger, you clever jerk-face!

But the word I most often yell is NOOOOO!

Even though I know what's coming -- for the most part, since there have been small tweaks from novel to screen -- I still resist some paths on the journey of the story.  I find this amusing in some ways, like I should know better.  But perhaps it is part of human nature, some sort of feeling that even as a passive observer of a fictional universe, I should be able to affect the outcomes of events.

Yeah, I know.  I'm full of crap. :)

1 comment:

  1. Crap or no crap (probably the later), I'm right there with you. My shoutings are in the same vein with a few tweaks, like:

    Just die already Theon.
    I hate you Joffrey.
    Arya, stop f-ing around and join Jaqen already.
    Where's Arya's wolf?
    Jon Snow DOES know SOME things!
    Oh, Cersei. You know less than you think you do.
    Sansa! He's a good guy and isn't a bad husband.

    ReplyDelete