Monday, December 12, 2011

Other people’s secrets


I recently learned that a friend of mine – who shall remain anonymous and does not read this blog – attempted suicide in the past 5 years.

I knew her at that time, and I had no idea.

It was a difficult thing to hear, although she told me in an “I’d like to share this with you” way. 

I feel honored that she trusts me enough to share this with me.  But I can’t help feeling guilty because I didn’t do anything at the time.

It was also hard to react to this information.  What do you say?  “I’m so sorry” doesn’t seem to cover it.

Fortunately, things are better now, and she is in a good place.  But as she told me, “once attempted, suicide always remains a viable option.”

So I’m putting it out there in the universe.  If you think no one cares about you, you’re wrong.  I do.  I don’t want anyone to feel like there’s nothing left to live for.  You’ll always have tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment