Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Presents


Are you one of those people who can’t stand seeing a wrapped present?  Who has the need, almost the compulsion, to unwrap something addressed to you?

I’m not. 

I enjoy the pleasant anticipation of the holidays, almost as much as the events themselves.  I love having something to look forward to, and I get so much satisfaction from giving gifts – much moreso than receiving them.  However, those that I do receive, I prefer to open on the day.  It’s part of the magic of the holiday.

However, my mother can’t handle not knowing what a present is.  And she assumes everyone else in the world is wired this way.  This has led to some interesting experiences over the years.

Such as when I was given new bed linens for Christmas, and my mom thought she could hide them in my closet without me noticing.  I mean, I am messy, but I do get dressed with clothes from my closet.  I don’t know why she thought I wouldn’t notice.  And then when I asked “um, what is up with the stuff in my closet?” she sent me off on an errand and POOF it disappeared.  What the heck? 

Then there is the stuff that she hides so well she can’t find it.  Every year as a teenager I would have at least one present that was purchased for the previous year’s Christmas.  Sometimes it didn’t make it until the next year – “Oh hey, I found this.  It’s your Christmas present.”   “Mom, it’s August.”   “Well, it’s just like Christmas in July!”   “Whatever, Mom.  Thanks, I guess.”

My cousin inherited this trait too.  The couple of years I lived with his family, he always knew what he was getting for Christmas.  I make sure that I wrap his presents with paper, rather than in a bag, just to frustrate his attempts to figure out what he’s getting. 

Both of them have birthdays within a month of Christmas.  I think that drives the need to know what they are getting.  As children, they had to wait all year for presents!  I can imagine not being able to take that at some point.

Anyway, I took my parents’ presents to their house at Thanksgiving.  I’d bet money that my mother has opened hers already.

4 comments:

  1. Haha! I'm like you. I secretly love waiting until the day of to open. BUT, I LOVE teasing the gift giver(s) in trying to figure out what they got. I weigh, hold, shake, sniff - everything I can think of to make the giver squirm at my attempts to figure out the puzzle that is the wrapped gift. It's what Christmas is about to me! lol!

    Have I talked about me enough? Yeah....

    When are you going to your parents?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! I hope you've never shaken something fragile on accident!

    I am not going to my parents' house for Christmas this year. First time I'll be away from them. I am going to spend the day with my local family, which will be fun.

    After traveling so much this year, I just needed some at home time. I spent Thanksgiving with my parents, so it shouldn't be too bad. Though I'm sure I'll miss them on the day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. BTW, I love you.

    Just sayin'...

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. YAY! Somebody loves me! I love you, too!

    ReplyDelete