Wednesday, July 13, 2011

People-watching at the airport

I people-watch.  You people-watch.  He/She/It people-watches.

I've been traveling a lot lately for work, and I have to say - if you ever need a good chuckle for your inner monologue, you need look no further than your fellow man.  Makes me wonder if "People are strange when you're a stranger" was written in an airport.

I've had the distinct displeasure of several flight delays over the past months.  Watching how others react has helped me live through this without screaming.  (Okay, venting on social media has helped too.)

In the small airport I fly in and out of, it's amazing how many people poke their heads out of the bar anytime there is an official flight announcement.  Those bar-dwellers who don't pay attention are also noticeable.  They walk to the gate from the bar in utter confusion about where their flight has gone (downstairs to another gate, usually) or come up to see which flight is boarding, then take off tossing "I gotta close my tab!" over their shoulder. Very entertaining. 

My favorite airport moment was when there was a dance troupe of about twenty 13-15 year old girls - and a handful of mothers - getting onto a plane that seats roughly 40.  In matching outfits.  Talking nonstop.  Carrying pompoms.  The 'favorite part' was realizing I was on a different flight that happened to be at the same gate.  (It was late - I didn't think I would make it through the flight without committing pomicide.)

The rental car line is also amusing.  Let me start by saying - do I really care what kind of car I'm going to drive for 3 days?  As long as it's automatic and has a/c, not especially - though it never hurts to be in something you'd like to drive.  Some people on the other hand seem to have a coronary if they end up in a Chevy when they wanted a Ford.  (Really?  Is it ever helpful to be angry at the clerk in any situation?  No.)  I am able to pick up my keys and leave, shaking my head at the insanity.  And smiling to myself.

However, my most valued people-watching is little kids on vacation - especially on their way to a vacation.  They are so excited and happy.  Who doesn't love to see that?  Brings a smile to my face every time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment