Friday, September 2, 2011

Working from Home

Working from home is interesting.

In my current job, I work from home occasionally.  Usually if there is something that has to be done around the house (like waiting for a repairman), or if it's really convenient (today, since it's a half day & this way I can work in my pajamas).

I worked from home in my first post-college job in Houston for a couple of years.  I went to the office one day a week, and the rest of the time I worked from home.  It didn't go so well.  My roommate was in law school, and she had strange hours.  She would come home and watch tv in the room I was trying to work in.  Not conducive to being productive.  Also not helpful on conference calls. 

The funniest thing about working from home though is what the cats do.  In Houston, there were two cats in the apartment - mine and my roommate's.  They would rotate spots around my desk throughout the day and take naps or demand attention:  on top of the nearby stereo, on top of my monitor, on my lap, on my desk, on the printer.  We all sort of had a routine / dance.



Pretty much like this.


Now, though, I don't work from home often enough for my cats to understand what is going on.  This morning, as I started the laptop and sat down on my couch, they came over to lay down near me and demand attention.  In their heads, if I'm on the couch, I should be petting them unless they want to sleep, in which case I should leave them alone.

Pet me.



As I ignored them, they became more assertive, and attempted to use Cat Logic, which is entirely illogical.

If I chew your cords, you'll pet me.



Their couch privileges were revoked quickly.  They glared at me from the floor and waited, attempting to re-couch every few minutes.  Eventually, the couch was blamed for my apparent attitude problem.

I will kill all furniture.



And now they are on the floor.  Learning a lesson, I'm sure.

Whatever.  I still have your cord.  




And yeah, I'm being super-productive.  Thanks for your concern.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment